How to Become a Member
We would love to have you join us!
Handler and Dog Qualifications
Handlers: must be a minimum of 14 years old to go out on a therapy dog visit alone. Handlers younger than 14 may test and join our organization, but must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times. All therapy dog teams commit to volunteering at least one hour per month, on behalf of others in need.
Dogs: must be 1 year old, minimum. If the dog is from a rescue organization, the owner/handler must have owned or handled the dog for at least 6 months before testing.
Step 1 – Pass the B&B Therapy Dog Test
The B&B test is a 20-minute process that assesses you and your dog’s ability to perform positively in the kinds of situations one may encounter on a therapy dog visit.
Click here to Learn More about Testing
Step 2 – Apply for Membership with B&B
Once you and your dog pass the therapy dog test, your Evaluator will send the test results and fee to Bright & Beautiful. He/she will also guide you through the B&B membership application process.
We require four items from the prospective member:
- A check, payable to Bright & Beautiful, for the 1st year’s membership fee: $50 for the first team, $15 for any additional handlers and/or dogs.
- You must complete and sign a membership application; the Evaluator who approved you and your dog as a therapy dog team must sign also. You have one year from the date of your test to apply for membership.
- Your veterinarian must complete and sign the Health Certificate. This shows that your dog’s vaccines are up to date and has the temperament to be a good therapy dog. Here’s a link to our Health Requirements
- A headshot photo of your dog (JPG file preferred, no more than 4.5 MB), for the ID badge you wear on therapy dog visits.
We require two items from the B&B Evaluator:
- Registration form: the prospective member completes and signs this form when they take the test.
- Copy of test results: this is proof that you and your dog passed the B&B test. The results must be signed and dated by the Evaluator.
Once the B&B Office receives all these items, your membership can be processed! Please note that we must receive hard copies of the membership form and test results, mailed to our office at:
80 Powder Mill Road, Morris Plains, NJ 07950.
Other documents may be sent by email to [email protected] or faxed to 973-292-9559.
Shortly after we process your application, you will receive a new member kit in the mail. The kit provides all you need to know to get started as a therapy dog team!